Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

What is toxic to dogs and puppies?

What is bad for dogs that are found around the house? Things toxic to dogs may be perfectly harmless to people, although not always. Below, you'll find information on things to keep well out of your dog or puppy's reach.

What substances are poisonous to dogs?

Most of the poisoning cases our San Jose vets see are the result of pets getting into substances around the house that simply haven't been stored safely, or that pet parents didn't know are bad for dogs. Certain foods, medications and substances commonly found around our homes, may seem harmless but can be lethal if ingested by our four-legged friends. 

To help you keep your beloved pet safe and healthy, here are just a few of the most common household items poisonous to dogs:


It is essential to be vigilant when it comes to keeping medications out of your dog's reach. Over-the-counter medications including painkillers and anti inflammatory medications as well as prescription medications can be highly poisonous when ingested by dogs. Medications that are toxic to dogs include (but are not limited to):

  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
  • Ibuprofen (Advil)
  • Aspirin
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
  • Indomethacin & Other NSAIDs
  • NSAIDs
  • Xanax, Ambien, Valium & Other Sleeping Pills
  • ACE Inhibitors & Other Blood Pressure Meds
  • ADHD Medications
  • Beta Blockers
  • Adderall
  • Many Herbal & Nutraceutical Products

People Food

Our four-legged friends have different metabolisms to us, which means that many foods that are perfectly safe and enjoyable for us can be dangerous, or even fatal, for dogs. If your dog consumes any of the following foods call your veterinarian right away for help:

  • Xylitol (found in sugar-free gum)
  • Chocolate
  • Grapes
  • Raisins 
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Alcohol 

Veterinary Products

Medications and prevention products play a key role in keeping your pet healthy, but the mistaken consumption or over consumption of these products can be fatal for our canine companions. Ensure that these items are kept out of your dog's reach and only used as directed by your veterinarian. Veterinary products that can be poisonous if consumed or over-consumed include:

  • Painkillers
  • Dewormers
  • Flea & Tick Treatments
  • Heartworm Prevention Medications

Household Products

There are a vast number of chemicals stored in most people's homes. While these chemicals perform a wide variety of useful tasks most are extremely dangerous to the health of our pets. The consumption of these substances can quickly be fatal for our four-legged friends. Safely store all household chemicals but especially:

  • Antifreeze
  • Paint Thinner
  • Household Cleaners
  • Swimming Pool Chemicals
  • Lawn & Garden Chemicals
  • Toilet Cleaners

Rodenticides & Insecticides

Rat poison and insecticides come in a variety of forms and can be as dangerous for your dog as the creatures they are intended for. If you are dealing with rodents invading your home, be sure your pet can't get into the substances you put down to deal with the problem, and store these products up high or in an area out of your pup's reach. Some common chemicals that fall into this category include:

  • Warfarin & Other Anticoagulant Rodenticides
  • Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) Rodenticides
  • Vengeance & Bromethalin Rodenticides
  • Organophosphates and Carbamates
  • Pyrethroids
  • Metaldehyde


The list of common household and garden plants that are toxic to our four-legged friends is extensive, and we couldn't possibly list them all. Nonetheless, a few that you should avoid having in your home or garden include:

  • Azaleas
  • Rhododendrons
  • Tulips
  • Daffodils
  • Sago palms 
  • Oleander
  • Poinsettia
  • Philodendron
  • Peace lily 

What should I do if my dog has been poisoned?

Stay calm, and make sure the source of the poison is out of your dog’s reach. Then get your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

Call Us:  (408) 271-7875

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

The following symptoms may indicate that your dog has been poisoned:

  • Agitation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Heart problems
  • Diarrhea
  • Kidney failure
  • Excessive bruising or bleeding
  • Nosebleeds
  • Unsteady on feet
  • Abnormal heartbeat
  • Drooling
  • Oral irritation
  • Pale gums
  • Inability to urinate

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. Please make an appointment with your vet for an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition.

Do you think that your dog or puppy has consumed something poisonous? Contact our San Jose vets right away. After hours, contact an emergency animal hospital near you.

New Patients Welcome

Burbank Pet Hospital is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of San Jose companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

(408) 271-7875 Contact Burbank Pet Hospital